Spare Tyre gives everyone a voice by telling their stories using a multi-art form, multisensory approach. We’re committed to collaborative participatory art, and to nurturing that creative impulse that we believe leads to both personal and political fulfilment.
Arti Prashar has been Spare Tyre's Artistic Director and CEO since 2006. She’s a Winston Churchill Fellow 2013 researching spirituality, dementia and ageing, and is a Fellow of the RSA and Birkbeck University.
Under Arti’s leadership and vision, Spare Tyre has developed its inclusive creative practice, championing diverse voices and socially engaged art through:
- Go Inc. to Work (training programme for artists with learning disabilities)
- I'm An Artist, Let Me In! (performance by artists with learning disabilities)
- Feeble Minds (based on Timon of Athens)
- BBC Radio Plays (writers with learning disabilities making history)
- Scratches (supporting fresh ideas by Spare Tyre artists)
- Roehampton Radio (community engagement)
- Once Upon a Time (interactive and multisensory storytelling for adults with advanced dementia and training for care staff)
- SAFE (performance by artists aged 60+)
- Still Life Dreaming (artists aged 60+ perform at the Edinburgh Fringe)
- Introducing paid internships (paying London Living Wage)
- Networks: Connected Culture, The London Hub, What Next?